Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Is This the End of the Road?

The two eye examinations I received from my surgeon and developmental optometrist yielded the same response, "You look like a million bucks!"   Both doctors concluded that my eyes were nearly perfectly aligned...I only had a tiny bit of vertical misalignment, only detectable by careful measurement, hardly detectable to the human eye. 

After close examination my surgeon, Dr. Cadera, told me I would not need a second surgery.  This was tremendous news!  The tiny bit of misalignment that was present should respond nicely to vision therapy.  He advised me to go back to vision therapy and continue work to regain full alignment and hopefully be able to achieve stereopsis (binocular vision).  Encouraged by his report, I looked forward to my appointment with my developmental optometrist.

I was greeted with a warm embrace by Dr. Kadet (aka "Dr. T") when I entered Hope Clinic for my progress evaluation. It had been many months since I had last seen him or been in for vision therapy.  As he looked into my eyes I could detect a bit of surprise in his face.  I don't think he expected my surgery to go as well as it had.  He took me back to the examination room and had me go through the typical eye screening exercises.  Because the vision in my right eye is so poor, I had difficulty doing what he asked me to do.  As Dr. Kadet moved the lens inside the phoropter vertically and horizontally, I was told to tell him when the two objects were perfectly aligned.  For a legally blind person, this is s difficult task.  My brain still wants so badly to repress the vision in my right eye.  It constantly turns off the vision in that eye so that I cannot see whatever it is I am supposed to see.  After several attempts trying to align various boxes and circles, he was able to calculate the alignment of my eyes. 

"Yep!" he exclaimed.  "He nailed it. Your eyes are almost perfectly aligned.  You only have a very small amount of vertical misalignment.  You know, he nailed it.  No, I really mean that...he nailed it!  I must admit that I was surprised he would even take you as a patient and am impressed with the result.  You look great!" 

"Well," he said, I don't know if there is that much more we can do for you know.  You are in a really good place." 

Puzzled, I exclaimed aloud, "Excuse me?  What do you mean by that?" 

"Well, Dr. Cadera did a fine job aligning your eyes.  I am not sure we can help you beyond that." 

Taken aback by his comment, I pressed him further.  I told him that Dr. Cadera encouraged me to seek vision therapy in order to continue to work on alignment and the possibility of fusion.  Dr. Cadera "got my eye in the ballpark" and Dr. Kadet could take it the rest of the way.  I asked him about continuing vision therapy so that I could work to get some 3D vision.

That's when Dr. Kadet said something that caused me to form a large lump in my throat which sank down my esophagus into the depths of my stomach.  He told me that because I had no central vision (in other words, my fovea does not work), I would never be able to achieve 3D vision, or stereopsis.  He said that central vision was required to have 3D vision. 

I must have looked completely shocked and dismayed.  I really could not believe what he just said.  Why would he lead me on all these months and give a false hope about the possibility of achieving 3D vision?  I honestly felt as if I had been bamboozled!  If that were the case, why didn't he tell me months ago that I would never be able to see 3D?  Why give me a false sense of hope all this time?

I did some computer research and found out that it is true.  Visual clarity and perfect alignment is necessary to achieve 3D vision.  I am including a good video from the American Optometry Association that explains this.  I may be able to achieve perfect alignment, but I will never be able to see clearly out of my right eye.  Months of vision therapy aimed at improving vision to my right eye led to this conclusion.  My right eye will remain legally blind for the rest of my life.  




So is this the end of the road for me?  Have I arrived at my final destination on my vision quest?  I guess I am not entirely sure.

If this is the end of the road, then I must admit that is a really great place to land!  For the first time in my life I can look another person directly in the eyes without hesitation.  I am no longer afraid of a camera lens or photographer.  I can look in the mirror and like the person who looks back at me.  For the first time in my life I feel a greater sense of confidence and self-esteem.  I am ready to take on the world!   If I have arrived at my final destination along my journey, I celebrate!  I have been given the chance to live a life free from discrimination and prejudice.  I can live to be all that I was created to be!

One Month After Surgery

Thank you for rallying behind me...for cheering me on...for supporting me through the dark hours of uncertainty and fear.  As Ursula K. LeGuin once said, "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end."
Happy trails to you, until we meet again!
~Michelle

14 comments:

  1. Hello before you had your surgerory could relax your eyes to make them not cross?? plz get back to me in email @ worldstarbeatz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so gorgeous, both before and after surgery. I am so happy for you that you have got the results that you wanted! Now go out and live your life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone who is interested, you may wish to check http://bjo.bmj.com/content/91/2/146.full. It is about treatment of strabismus by injecting bupivacane and botox. The method looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, its so nice to see the optimism in these cases. I myself can truly relate to your story when an optometrist looks you dead in the eye and says "don't waste your time with visual therapy because your eye will not improve because your too old." Nothing made me angrier than to hear those words coming from what I thought was an authoritative figure. Well let me tell you, where there's a will there's a way. I couldn't bear to live with this outcome for my vision as I knew if I didn't improve it it would only get worse with time. So after countless hours spent in the library, I finally found a hint of salvation for all of us who suffer from any brain malfunction. It is neuroplasticity-the ability of the brain and nervous system in all species to change structurally and functionally as a result of input from the environment. Our brains are amazing in every sense of the word.

    Here is the wikipedia link

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

    and here is the link associated with strabismic amblyopia

    http://www.revoptom.com/continuing_education/tabviewtest/lessonid/106025/

    Never lose hope Michelle.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm having surgery on Thursday. You look amazing and I was so touched by your blog , your story and your clips. I can relate to every word you are saying. I too have a blog, if you're curious:
    http://linywoos.blogspot.com

    I have a question: I too have one eye that is lazy or amplyophic. (?), will not recover 3D vision, but for me, that's okay, since I've had this condition my whole life and don't know about anything else. Im not so worried about surgery, but i'm more worried what it will feel like, psychologically, afterwards. Since we switch eyes all the time, will they still do that? My doc has told me to wear glasses or lenses so that the good eye will be as well focused as possible and just "leave the bad eye alone". Even if I switch eyes after, will the good eye then become lazy and go in a different direction? that's what they do now. Grateful for any response. You are one brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, I just wanted to write to say a huge thank you to you for your blog and your videos on YouTube. I can honestly say that it was you having shared your experience so eloquently & movingly which made me take the final step to seek strabismus surgery. After over 20yrs of large-angle exotropia with double vision, I am now largely straight-aligned and starting to suppress the second image. It feels like a huge weight off my shoulders that I didn't even know I was carrying. Much as my family and friends are pleased for me, it has counted for so much to know there are other people out there who understand how it feels and what having this surgery truly means.

    Thank you again for sharing your story, and congratulations on your fantastic outcome!

    Ali in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle

    I am legally blind in my left eye which, over time had caused exotropia. I found your blog via youtube, as I was looking at Strabismus Surgery Recovery videos. I am 4 days post op after having lateral rectus recession and medial rectus resection. I have just sat and read your blog in it's entirety, and I had to drop you a note and say that you look fantastic!

    I have experienced the feeling of not being able to look people directly in the eye and my self confidence has also taken a beating. I was made aware that no therapy will allow me to gain 3d vision or stereopsis, but that was not a part of my reason for getting the surgery.

    I have a 2 year old son, and we like to take photos - lots of photos. But in 2 years, I have only a handful of photos of us two, because the camera had become my mortal enemy. I felt able today, (despite looking swollen and red), to look the checkout lady square in the eye today, and I felt good about it.

    The difference in my confidence 4 days post op is amazing, and I still look a bit worse for wear!! I hope my outcome is as good as yours.

    Thanks for blogging your story, you are amazing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle....just found your blog and I have to say, so thankful for it. I'm just a tad bit older than you..48. I have worn glasses since I was 4. The doctors wanted to do surgery back in 1968 but my parents were too frightened. I've had the lazy eye thing going for as long as I can remember, double vision at times, prisms in every set of glasses and recently it seems that my eye turns more and more. I completely relate to your teaching experince...as a fourth grade teacher I can't tell you how many times they would ask, Are you talking to me?? :-) Now, after 18 years I have left teaching behind and began a photography business five years ago. The last two years seem to have gotten harder on my eyes with computer work and always behind the lens. My brother has encouraged me to seek surgery and then I found your story. Thank you for giving me the little push. Just contacted a doctor at Loyola University in Chicago and will hopefully be seeing him soon. Wonderful to see your progress and know that hope exists:-) _Giovanna Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle, I've watched your videos Am read your blog. It will be two weeks since my surgery an I am praying for a sucres!! The eye is incur better alignment. Seemed to have better alignment the few days directly following surgery. I am very interested in hearing more about the vision therapy. I have been researching to find someone in my area. If you should have the time I would love to chat more with you. carolynmichelman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please ignore typos. Using phone and don't have
    my reading glasses on. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a question...I've got double vision as the result of a closed head bicycle injury about a year ago. I've seen a MD that suggests a Harado Ito surgery. It sounds like you had double vision prior - now that a year has past, has most of the double vision resolved? - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had 2 surgeries alreadry, and I gave up. But I am considering trying again with a different surgeon. I would like to know who is the best at this type of sugery. My condition (alternating exotropia since childhood, now age 41) is complicted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle, Your video on youtube has brought tears to my eyes. I was born with a lazy eye due to an early, traumatic birth. No one else in the family has my problem. I've had two surgeries done for lazy eye as a child, but as I've grown into an adult, the eye has crossed in more again. I was OK with it until I started teaching. I never knew that kids could be so mean and cruel to a teacher--the adult---and it has brought me so much grief, tears, frustration and damaged self-esteem.

    I and my parents have been told for years that there is nothing more that can be done. We've had vision therapy and the two surgeries. But, when I started teaching and it because a way for the students to bully me, I began to ask (beg) for help. Just two days ago I met with a surgeon who, for the first time since my childhood, has told me he can straighten the eye. I would love to email you more and have my many questions answered. I don't remember the childhood surgeries at all so I am fearful.

    ReplyDelete